{framed mirror tutorial}

Finally!  This mirror has been done for a little bit but i have just had too much going on to write this post (or any post!), but here it is…

First i have to tell you that this my third mirror and my last, yeah!!!  And all 3 have been done different ways.  I just went with a different style in each room and just made it up as i went along – that’s how i do things :)

For this mirror, i had a little challenge.  You can see in the 1st pic that for some reason the builder put a plug-in – in the mirror!  Why?!  I have no idea why they couldn’t move it over a foot – but instead i had this lovely mirrored, beveled, 80’s looking plug cover plate right smack in the bottom corner of my mirror.

I knew that the plug in needed to be covered up, so i had to make my frame tall enough to cover it – 9 inches.  And i for sure could of cut around the plug-in but it wouldn’t look very good, and i will get over the fact that its gone, forever!  That’s the price you have to pay for beauty i guess :)

So, here is the breakdown of how i did my mirror…

Before…also, don’t mind all the ‘undecoratedness” – this is one of my last rooms to paint

easter2010 050

You can see that my mirror is pretty big, so making the frame 9 inches worked out OK.  At 1st when i got it all up, before it was painted, i was a little scared because it looked so BIG but now that its all done, it looks good.

I bought 2 different kinds of molding.  Base board molding and then just a chair rail style molding – both pieces put together were 9 in – perfect (this is different than how i did my other mirrors, i will get to that later)

monthly42810 024

Baseboard molding…

monthly42810 029

Chair rail…

monthly42810 031

I started by framing the outside of the mirror with the chair rail

monthly42810 038

All that i did was measure it all up, made sure it fit, and then just glued it directly to the mirror with liquid nails.  The liquid nails dried really quick, so i just sat with the mirror for about 5 minutes to make sure it wasn’t going anywhere – it dried super fast.  In the past i have used duct tape to hold it to the mirror/wall but this time i didn’t.

monthly42810 033

Next, i got all the base board molding cut.  But before putting that up i painted the underside of the molding about and inch.  You will see the reflection on the back part of the molding in the mirror, so make sure you get that painted, you don’t want to see raw wood.

monthly42810 045

Another thing to remember is not to get your liquid nail to close to the edge of your molding.  You don’t want to ruin your hard work by seeing a reflection of ugly glue in the mirror :)

monthly42810 047

Then just glue it up with liquid nails and step back to admire ;)  This is the part when i thought i really screwed up!  The frame was HUGE.  My kids mirror that i posted about here is the same width, but for some reason this one looked GIGANTIC.  I figured that it really stood out because it was still white, and also in this bathroom my vanity is taller than the kids bathroom.

monthly42810 040

You can see my corners needed to be filled, so i just used dry-dex and filled it in and then sanded it down before i painted.  I used caulk for the curvy part of the molding ( not pictured)

monthly42810 054

Then i gave everything a light sanding and painted it black.  Of course i distressed the whole thing with my 60 grit sand block.  Some people may find it easier to paint it 1st and then hang, not me, i want it up NOW to see what it looks like and then finish up with the details :)

After…

bathroom mirror 005

bathroom mirror 011

bathroom mirror 012

bathroom mirror 013

You can see some “board and batten” going on in there – more to come on that later :)  Also i will show you pics along the way of how i decorate the space, it really needs it!

bathroom mirror 006

bathroom mirror 015

And, because i have already gotten a ton of emails, “how do i do this with my mirror clips?”

I was lucky that i didn’t have mirror clips or that metal track along the top and bottom that some builders put in.  BUT, if i did i would take off the clips/track and glue the mirror directly on to the wall.  Of course that is a more permanent thing but you will love your mirror so much you wont want to move it anyways :)  But, i really think that would be so much easier than trying to chisel out wood in the back of your frame to accommodate the clips.  I also worry that if you have clips on the side, you might be able to see them?  What do you guys think?  Do you have a better solution for the clips?

***Edited to add – the correct glue that you would use to adhere your mirror directly to the wall is Mirror Mastic***

**The brand of adhesive that i used was Liquid Nails.  The paint color is Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray – but i had it color matched by Lowes into Olympic Premium (my new favorite brand by the way)**

Total cost was $60 – i already had the black paint (canyon black by Valspar).

So with a couple of hours worth of work from start to finish i have a totally custom mirror.  I still have a lot of work to do in this room (new light because the new mirror dwarfs it), decorating, some curtains?  but for now, it works and its one project to cross of the never ending list :)

***i am sure i left off some details, but its past my bedtime!***

By the way, you can check out my kids bathroom mirror here (along with a ruffled shower curtain that i made…

kids bath blog 101

and then a simple framed mirror here in my 1/2 bathroom

laundryroom 017

I will be linking up to these parties!

Visit thecsiproject.com

136 Responses to {framed mirror tutorial}

1. Rachel May 4, 2010 at 5:37 am #

C.O.O.L.!!!
    It's looks flippin' amazing!! I love the molding dept at our local wood store!!!

Now if only I could get my husband to finish our bathroom mirror trim out!

;)Rachel

2. april francom May 4, 2010 at 5:53 am #

This is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been wanting to do this forever and you have just given me the "kick in the pants" to do it. Although, I have found a metal clip to install on the back of the frame (you have to build the frame separately) so that it is not so permanent…what if a future homeowner does want it???? That's my fear!!! Anyhow, it looks fantastic although, please don't say that about the light fixture because I have the same exact one!!!! I don't want to have to change it out! Thanks for the tutorial. April

• BRICHEY June 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

What is the name of the clips and where did you find them? I proposed this concept to my husband and he said that he didn’t feel comfortable gluing onto a mirror for the same reason you mentioned already.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Not sure what you mean? I glued my molding directly onto my mirror and its been there for a couple years and its great!!

• K January 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

I would use the heavy duty Command removable Adhesive tabs. They make different sizes for different weight items.

3. Kristine at The Painted Hive May 4, 2010 at 6:31 am #

I don't have any builder mirrors though I have been trying to convince my Mum to do this in her holiday house for ages. I'll have to show her this…it just might change her mind! Looks great. I love chunky frames.
    Kristine
    xx

4. michelle@somedaycrafts May 4, 2010 at 6:59 am #

Absolutely Beautiful! Love it! Love the bathroom!

5. Terry May 4, 2010 at 10:35 am #

Your mirror is definitely the focal point! I love it – would you come to my house next?

6. trish May 4, 2010 at 11:06 am #

I love the grand size of the mirror! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

*I am hosting a give a way every Monday of this month and would love to have you join in the fun*
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

7. Lacy Key May 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

You are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your secret. I cant wait to give my mirrors a face lift!

8. Heather May 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

That is lovely! I'm so excited to do my boys' mirrors. I just need to decide on a moulding! :)

9. Shaunna May 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

okay, I've watched you do three of these gorgeous things and it's official…I'm doing all 5 bathrooms as soon as I well, you know, put off another project to do it! -shaunna :)

10. The_Richards May 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

It's gorge. I would love to try something like that.

11. Laura May 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Love, love mirror frame.

12. Chris May 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

What a fun idea. If we end up moving and have this type of mirror, I'll know what to do! Thank you for sharing.

13. Mandy May 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

WOW!!!!!!

14. Katie @ {Cowboy}Phraseology May 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Love it! I'm going to do this project in my master bathroom. I can't wait! Yours turned out awesome.

15. Katherine @ Grass Stains May 4, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

GORGEOUS! I did mine a couple of years ago but went with a thinner trim … just some four-inch crown moulding. Now I wish I'd gone bigger! Love it all.

16. shara May 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

just wanted to tell you this is AWESOME! love it. love it. love it!

17. * Nancy * May 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

THANKS – I've been waiting patiently for this tutorial!
    A quick question: did you cut the molding yourself or at the place that you purchased the molding? If you did it yourself what tool did you use to cut it with?

I want to do this, hopefully I get the courage to do it!

18. Maria May 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Yes!! I cannot wait to get started! I am so lucky my hubby is a store mgr for Lowe's ;)

19. Down On The Farm May 4, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

20. Meg May 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Wow! Great job. I love the vintage look of the wood (with the distressing) and the thickness is so great. I love that!

I'd love for you to check out my blog for a CSN give away! Have a wonderful day! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

21. AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage May 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Great job!

22. Doni May 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

What an excellent idea! It's wonderful, and your step by step tutorial with pics is perfect. By the way, thank you so much from us dial up gals!! We can't download a video tutorial, so we miss a lot!!
    blessings!
    Doni

23. michelle@somedaycrafts May 5, 2010 at 1:14 am #

I am featuring this tonight at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com! It is just to gorgeous not to show it off!

24. ~ Regan May 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Love the mirrors!

25. Ronnica May 5, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

That's super cute…makes the bathroom feel SO MUCH different!

26. Ericka May 5, 2010 at 9:39 pm #

Oh I love both of these framed mirrors you posted…so copying this! Great Job!

27. Sandy May 6, 2010 at 1:29 am #

I too have a very large mirror and your idea to make it look smaller is such a good thing!
    Love the color!
    Great job!

Sandy

28. Mandi May 6, 2010 at 3:08 am #

Awesome job! I love this! I have been meaning to do it myself in my bathroom but it's like #57 on the list. Maybe I oughta move it up!

29. Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue May 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Love that you made the frame so thick, it looks great! I will be talking hubby into doing this soon!

30. Sarah @ Hennessey House May 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

this is almost too fabulous for words. i REALLY love how thick the frame is, it's just so much more interesting than if you had used only the chair rail. and the distressing is a super nice touch. way to go on this project, chica!!

31. Alicia@Thrifty And Chic May 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

this looks absolutely amazing! I love how it matches your cabinets. I am totally going to do this one. I love!!! the big chunky effect :)

32. theortegas4 May 6, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

OK…I have a builder mirror but it is two levels due to the vanity. It is one big mirror with the plug just like yours…geez what were they thinking! Any ideas of what I could do since it looks two levels but one big mirror. Would love to do this in my bathroom and will definitely do in my daugthers jack-n-hill bathroom! Hope to hear your thoughts.

33. Kari @ Ucreate May 6, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Now my bathroom mirrors will be gorgeous thanks to you! I'll be featuring!

34. Frugal Life Pro May 6, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

love it!

35. julie May 7, 2010 at 12:12 am #

hey sausha! yahoo! i am glad i found you! i was just wondering how i could make our master bath mirror pretty! yours looks amazing!i love everything you have created and i am looking forward to seeing more! i just became a follower!

36. Stacy's Designs 88 May 7, 2010 at 12:28 am #

OMG! You are amazing! I can live vicariously thru you until I get the nerve and energy to do my own furniture/home re-do. You're a Terrific Inspiration to all of us. :)

37. Loren440 May 7, 2010 at 3:29 am #

It surely looks great!!!!!

But PLEASE tell me you didn't just cover up the electrical box with the outlet????

38. Jen May 7, 2010 at 4:29 am #

Great Job!! I trimmed out my mom's bathroom mirror with fluted trim & rosettes for the corners. I used the composite stuff (super light & easy to cut). I used gorilla super glue to attach it to the mirror. I just put it right over the mirror clips. I didn't have any problem. I like your idea of thicker moulding. That's what I'm going to do to my mirrors. Thanks for the ideas!

• Brenda Tustin September 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Hi Jen: Were the clips that you covered over..were they the flat metal ones? Mine are thick plastic…just wondering whaat you had…thanks

39. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking May 7, 2010 at 5:42 am #

Thanks for the great tutorial.. it's fabulous!

40. Hootin' Anni May 7, 2010 at 10:35 am #

I could so do this to our hall-bath. Well, let me rephrase that…I could so SEE my hall-bath done this way.

Gorgeous!!

My Show n Tell is "A VERY 'FAMOUS' PERSON AUTOGRAPHED HIS BOOK FOR ME"

Do come see who it is, won't you? Happy Friday.

41. Crafty Batches May 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

This is so impressive, I love all of the mirror makeovers…great job!! ~Sam

42. Becca May 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

Love this! I hope you'll come link up at my Home and Family Friday linky party.

Becca

43. Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas May 8, 2010 at 2:03 am #

Hi..I’m Barb ….I am from New Friend Friday.. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

44. DeeDee1Whoa May 8, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Whoever wants to affiliate with my blog or for us to follow each other's blogs on Blogger, let me know! I'm willing to return the favor, I mean we could all use some more traffic & readers on our blogs.

45. Jamielyn May 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

This is super cute! I love it! This is a summer project I have planned. I'd love for you to link up at sundae scoop. http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/05/sundae-scoop-favs-link-party-and.html

46. Kristi May 9, 2010 at 3:19 am #

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this, this week.

47. Fawnda May 9, 2010 at 3:53 am #

Fab-u-lo-so! I love it! :)

48. Melli May 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

I love this and I have builder's mirrors in my house, so I NEED this, but I am afraid to cut the corners – can you do a tutorial on how to cut mitered corners?

• Cheryl August 19, 2013 at 8:58 am #

You just cut 90degree angles….it is super easy! And if it isn’t exactly perfect, the caulk hides any flaws!

49. Sherron May 10, 2010 at 2:28 am #

Your mirror frames are gorgeous! I have made frames for my bath mirrors and I would recommend one additional step: seal the seam between the mirror and the inside with a clear caulk. I just place painters tape around the mirror leaving a small (1/8 inch) gap and then I use clear caulk to seal the seam. This keeps water and window cleaners from seeping behind the frame and ruining it.

50. Kaysi May 10, 2010 at 8:13 am #

WOW that looks great! I love how you painted it, it looks so pretty and modern now. I have to do this!

51. Sara's Sweet Surprise May 11, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Hello Sausha~Thank you for sharing this tutorial. We are remodeling two homes and this will work perfectly for the existing mirrors. We wanted to keep them in tact, because they're in great condition and a nice size.
    We'd probably apply both styles for the three vanities.

Sweet wishes,
    Sara

52. Tracey @ My House of Giggles May 12, 2010 at 3:02 am #

This look so amazing and professional!!! You've done a fabulous job!

53. Christine Trebendis May 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you very much for the tutorial. So appreciate you sharing.

54. Lindsey @ Better After May 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

great tutorial, and great blog! I found you from ucreate, I'd love to feature you on my blog sometime too! C'mon over and check it out!

55. Crafty Batches May 26, 2010 at 3:02 am #

Hey it's Sam and Andrea from Crafty Batches and we are awarding you the Gorgeous Blogger Award! Please visit our site to see all the details and to pass it along to your favorite blogs!

56. Pamela May 27, 2010 at 3:13 am #

LOVING this! Did you do your cabinets as well? I am in the midst of painting our guest bath cabinets in black and decided to sand in spots. I am thinking I am loving it but was not so sure. I am going to see if I can find a larger close up of yours.

57. Pamela May 27, 2010 at 4:45 am #

Okay so I was inspired by your cabinets and just decided to go for it and finish distressing mine. I was not too sure till I saw yours. It was 11 pm but out in the garage I went and now they are done and just beautiful! Thanx for sharing your projects!

58. HILER May 27, 2010 at 10:55 pm #

You're on my list at itsonmycraftlist.blogspot.com. My blog is new and mainly just a way of me bookmarking projects I want to do! I am in LOVE with black distressed wood and will be attempting to recreate your masterpiece VERY soon!

59. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com June 2, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Hi Sausha!

I just love these framed mirrors that you do!

I would love it if you would link it up to the CSI Project's "Hardware store" challenge. I would love the people over there to see it!

And I know you have a lot of other projects that use Hardware Store materials. we would love for you to link up any of your projects! Kate from centsational girl is guest posting and I am sure she would love your projects!

XOXO
    Jen

60. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. July 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! We have three of these unframed mirrors and I keep telling my husband that there has to be a simple way to frame them out. This is going straight to the top of our "must do" list! Just discovered your blog. I'll slowly be making my way through past posts, don't want to miss anything. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

61. Nancy August 2, 2010 at 5:10 am #

This is incredible. I've seen moldings you can buy from retailers that cost at least 2x as much. You've given me such a better solution to address my pathetic mirrors. I can't wait to go to my local home store this week.

62. paperkite October 30, 2010 at 4:39 am #

I am late to the party but I was wondering what color paint you used? It doesn't look completely black but that could be my monitor. Thank you!! :)

63. decdiva1 January 21, 2011 at 6:16 am #

u r my mirror hero! great job on all of them! i love the black mirror and cabs! looks great!

64. Anonymous February 6, 2011 at 5:21 am #

SO glad I came across your site- I am in the process of redoing our bathroom… I keep looking at our HUGE builder-mirror, thinking there has to be a way to frame it. Yea! I am thrilled to see what you did! :) Your mirrors look wonderful- what a difference!

65. Jay Dub May 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

My question is, where did you get a mirror that big??

66. Sheri May 16, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Thanks for the inspiration & easy to follow instructions! I've seen this done in model homes before, but it never looked as good as your mirror. I purchased 22 feet of 4 1/2" molding & painted it a dark chocolate brown & proceeded to frame our large master bath "builder" mirror. I can't believe how good it looks!! My husband is happy because his 10" chop saw was too small so now he has a brand new 10" sliding chop saw!! :)

67. CookingwithVictoria September 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

What brand is the cake stand in the bathroom? I know you got it at Costco and I LOVE it!!!

68. Anita January 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Good God, you are a genius! I've been dreading the thought of having to remove the giant mirrors plastered onto my bathroom walls, but I never realized that I could just build out the frame on top of the mounted mirror! Absolutely brilliant!

69. Pat Baker January 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

OMG! This is beautiful…We are in the middle of renovations of our bathrooms in our home and I have been trying to explain to my husband what we need to do instead of removing the LARGE mirrors and this tells it all…You did a terrific job….I can't wait to get started.

70. Andy January 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

nice look, but when the time comes for someone to take that trim down, half the house will come with it – liquid nails is a pretty short sighted approach. you'll be re-drywalling that wall for sure. same for gluing the mirror straight to the wall. bad idea.

71. annie February 12, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Great job, looks awesome…I was wondering, is there a reason you didn’t paint all the wood before you attached it tot the mirror ,

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

i didnt paint everything because i wanted to fill in any gaps on the corners to make them seamless, so i hung it, used wood filler and then painted

72. Terri February 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Love this!!! We have that exact UGLY mirror and have just finished painting. I was going to take it down and buy 2 new mirrors for over the sinks, but now I am doing this. Perfect! Thanks for the tips!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

awesome – have fun!!

73. Angelin February 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Looking for the 6 light bathroom fixture in the bathroom showing a pretty towel holder on the wall…..thanks!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

that came from the RE-Store, i wish i could find another one!!

74. Laurel March 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Brilliant! Well done! Thank you for sharing and posting such great step by steps! Will be revisiting your blog. Found you on Pinterest. ;)

75. Stephanie March 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

did you use your paint gun to paint the trim on the mirror? i know i can’t afford that new paint gun you got and wouldn’t want one that nice since i am just a newbie at this. what do you recommend?

76. kristin March 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

I was just wondering that if you glue the molding directly to the mirror, do you see the mirror from the side? Or how do you get the molding to sit flush against the wall?

77. Nichole April 8, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Is there a specific type of Liquid Nails that I would need? I know there are so many varieties!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

i just used the standard one in the goldish tube – nothing special, just the regular stuff :)

78. Amy April 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Love the mirrors! I also love the towel holder pictured in the kids bathroom, where did you get that?

79. Julie B. April 23, 2012 at 5:03 am #

Hi! What a great idea! I live in a home built in 1987 and have several of these mirrors! I am wondering how the frame is flush to the wall? My mirrors are bevelled too so not sure exactly where the first molding is placed. Thanks again for the great, cost-friendly ideas!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 24, 2012 at 11:03 am #

my mirrors are glued directly on to the wall, if yours has clips, you can just remove them and glue the mirror onto the wall. For the bevel, im sure its such a small angle that you can glue the molding directly over it and not have a problem. Hope that helps!!

• BD May 29, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Hi
        Very nice. Just a question on the paint . Did you paint the black let dry and then lightly sand? Just trying to get a handle on the distress look .TX!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

yup, thats exactly what i did!!

• BD May 30, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Great ! One more question did you use candle wax or vaseline prior to your top coat?

80. Julie B. April 23, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Never mind! I see others had the same question – saw the response!

81. Lydia May 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

I like the towel rack on the wall. Where did you get it? Thanks

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

its actually a plate rack and i just found it @ goodwill :)

82. Carol Hayes June 18, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Where did you get the towell rack?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

its actually a plate rack that i found @ goodwill!

83. Katy June 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

I love the mirrors that you have framed. Did you move your outlet somewhere else or just cover it up? I’ve been wanting to frame my mirror forever, but I have the same outlet right where my molding should go.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

i taped it off and covered it up – probably not the right way, but my house hasnt burned down yet!! I do have another close outlet on the wall, so it worked out for me covering that one up!

84. Erin August 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

LoVe this! Your vanity cabinets are awesome, too! Is that one piece you got at the home improvement store, or did you paint what was there and distress? Are they cherry? I always have in my mind that you don’t ever touch cherry cabs, that you leave it stained as it is, but I’m really wanting to change them up with paint for a more handcrafted look…I really just need someone to give me the nudge to say “It’s o.k. to paint them.”
    : )

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 17, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

the cabinets are actually just what we had the builder put in, i havent painted those. But if you have cherry cabs and you want them painted – PAINT THEM!!! Just because someone thinks that you shouldnt paint over good wood, doesnt mean that its true! If you want them painted – go for it!!

85. Michelle August 17, 2012 at 8:19 am #

Can you please tell me where you found your beautiful scroll-y towel holder? Love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

that is actually a plate holder and i just found it @ goodwill!!

• Lynne October 1, 2012 at 9:53 am #

I thought it probably was a plate holder or an easel. Shoot, I will just have to keep an eye out for something similar. I love that look as opposed to a towel ring! Thanks for the response!

86. Robin August 21, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Love it, in fact so much I now have a new weekend project!!! Thanks

87. Leti September 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Love this post…question though. How do you manage to get your paint so smooth as in NO brush strokes?? I feel like every single time I paint something all you see are brush strokes or some kind of stroke..even if using a sponge or something. Anyway tips would be appreciated =) thx

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

I use a paint sprayer :) If you brush on your paint try thinning it with water or floetrol and that will help with brush marks :)

88. Lynne September 27, 2012 at 7:59 am #

I LOVE the towel holder!!! Where did you get it and is it meant for a different purpose?? It would beperfect in my bathroom!! Thanks!

89. Lisa September 28, 2012 at 3:32 am #

Love this idea…But I love the canopy bed you can see in the mirror—where did you get the bed?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

I got that @ RC Willey in Utah about 10 years ago :)

90. Lynne October 1, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I hate to bother you but I am googling plate holders. Can you tell me the bracket depth of yours?? Most seem to be 1.75″-2.5″. I’m not sure that’s enough room to hold the hand towels.
    Thanks again!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Its about 5.5in deep – good luck! Let me know if you find a place to order online – i actually need one more :)

• Lynne October 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Will do. I’ve been on the hunt and found something that will work but it’s not as pretty as yours. Stay tuned!

91. Maria October 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Hi
    I live what u did with the mirror ,one question were did you get the light fixer in the bathroom I love that ? Thank u
    Maria

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

that just came with the house – builders special :)

92. Vanessa October 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

love this idea! thanks for detailed instructions. What’s the name of the paint color in the master bath photo?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

its comfort gray by sherwin williams

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

its comfort gray by sherwin williams

93. Katie November 7, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

LOVE this! Where is your light from in the kids bathroom? It’s the perfect modern farmhouse element I’m looking for.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

that is from the re-store – i wish i knew who the original maker was though, because i would love another one!! I did have to paint it and add the glass covers which are from lowes

94. Katie November 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Ok so you just bought the glass light covers from lowes?

95. Denise November 21, 2012 at 10:26 am #

All of you that are wondering why the outlet is in the mirror, it’s an electrical/building code issue. They are required to be in a certain place on every wall, so many feet from the corner and so many feet from each other. They also can not be too close to/over a water source. So as in the bloggers photo, moving the plug over a foot puts it too close to the bathtub and too far away from the corner of the wall. So don’t blame the builder for the location, blame him for a terrible mirror design which rendered you with that ugly outlet cover.

And actually what the blogger did by permenantly covering the outlet with the molding is a code violation and shouldn’t be able to sell the house until its uncovered. The outlets are in sequence and if something electrically goes wrong, access to that plug could be needed. It would be terrible to have to rip your mirror apart (it will probably break when you try to get the molding off).

96. Stacy Hughes January 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

I LOVE the results of the heavy framed black mirror trim. Stunning! I have the exact same set up in my bathroom mirror where one side is adjacent to a wall and the other side is open/raw. My concern is by glueing trim on the raw, open edge (the right side on your mirror) how do you cover up that exposed, raw edge?

If you overlay the trim past the raw edge, you’ll have a 1/4″-1/2″ gap between the back side of the trim and wall. But, if you glue the trim equal to the mirror’s edge, the mirror’s edge will show. How did you account for that issue? Hope this question makes sense! Thanks!

97. debbie February 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

Thank you for posting this tutorial Been wanting to frame my mirror-Did not realize how simple t could be

98. DIYer February 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Hey there,
    So I have come up with a better solution to glueing a mirror to the wall if it has clips… it takes a little more time, but no adjusting the mirror. just route (using a router or smaller dremel tool) the back of the moulding where the clips are and then you don’t have to do anything but glue the moulding like you showed. once the frame is up you wont even know it was any different and saves you from taking the mirror off the wall to glue it! Thanks for the step by step tutorial, one of the better ones ive seen and i like the materials you used as well!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

yup – that would be perfect for people that have clips!!

99. Amy June 21, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Love it! What a beautiful job! If you’re ever doing any other mirrors, do consider http://www.mirrormate.com though! The frames come pre-cut to your mirror’s measurements and there are over 65 styles to choose from. You don’t have to cut or paint or anything! They go up in about 20 minutes time and attach directly the mirror, covering clips and all. Just wanted to share! :)

100. Amber September 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

What color is the wall in your kids bathroom? I would love a photo of the wall and the color/type of paint!

101. Amber September 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

what color paint did you use in your children’s bathroom?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 1, 2014 at 7:55 am #

it was actually a couple colors i mixed together so i have no idea – sorry!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Mirror, Mirror On The Wall | | DIYalogueDIYalogue - May 7, 2012

[…] imagine my delight when I came across this. The author is a woman named Sausha, a creative gal who owns a furniture refinishing business in […]

2. » 30 Dollar Framed Mirror Dining, Design, and DIY - July 1, 2012

[…] looking for a way to spice-up the house, I was really excited when I found a tutorial on how to frame a bathroom mirror. You don’t even need nails! Which is good, because as much […]

3. How to frame your bathroom mirrors (Beach-inspired bathroom makeover–part 1) | The Frugal Homemaker - July 16, 2012

[…] You can do a big thick frame on a double mirror like this one – tutorial here by Sweet Pickin’s […]

4. Bathroom Ledges - September 26, 2013

[…] bathroom was like this for a good five years.  Thank goodness for DIY blogs! I had just seen this tutorial on Sweet Pickin’s about framing out a builder’s mirror and I went for it!  It was so easy!  I didn’t […]