{Yup, i painted a stick…}

So, i am sure everyone has seen the cute sticks with cute little eggs and cute little stuff hanging from them – very fun – very eastery.  But, easter is uhhhh…4 days away, and i don’t want to drag out the eggs for just 4 days (nope, i havent decorated for easter yet, i know, not good, but i will (maybe)).

Anyways, i found a dead tree on the side of the road, parked the car, got out and ripped off some branches.  My son was totally cool with this until i told him “look how many people are looking at us” then he ran into the car and hid.  I don’t think jumping on a dead tree on the side of the road to get the stupid branch to break is embarrassing, do you?!

So, this is the stick…the doggy likes it

stick 003

I cut off some of the branches and spray painted it white.  I didn’t want eggs, so decided on paper flowers – i like the book page look so i cut a bunch of 4-5 inch circles.  I just free handed these – not perfect – lazy style.

stick 025

I folded the circle in half and then half again, careful not to make the pages have a crease – i wanted the flowers to be fluffy like

stick 030

Then i stuck a bunch together – anywhere from 3-5 for each flower

stick 035

I stapled the bottom of the flowers to make them all stick together, make sure  not to staple to high up otherwise the flower wont be fluffy

stick 033

Then i just randomly hot glued the flowers on the branch

stick 043

I didn’t like it for the place that i wanted it for, but i didn’t want to just chuck it, so i put it on a table in the stairway (do you see the dust on those pics, seriously – i could of at least dusted those – its all the spray paint dust that comes up from the basement!)

stick 047

Anyways, this is not my favorite project, yeah its kinda cute, not exactly what i had in mind but OH WELL – onto the next project :)

stick 054

18 Responses to {Yup, i painted a stick…}

1. Krista@thegatheringplacedesign April 1, 2010 at 5:14 am #

I like it! Simple and sweet. You crack me up, have I told you I love your blog? I do. :)

2. ♥Amber Filkins♥ April 1, 2010 at 6:04 am #

Actually, I think it's absolutely adorable!! I ♥♥♥ it!

3. Love Being a Nonny April 1, 2010 at 11:51 am #

I really like it and if the flowers were pray painted it would look even better!!!!!!!!1

4. Grant L. Duckworth April 1, 2010 at 11:58 am #

that looks great. I love the idea!

5. Orange it Lovely April 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

oh I love it! Love the flowers! So different!
    oh and I paint sticks all the time! lol
    ~Tana

6. Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training April 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

Looks great! I saw something like this on the Martha Stewart show but I like yours better!

Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training”

7. Sandra Powell April 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm #

I would totally jump on a dead tree to get a branch-no matter who was looking. Love it! The branch, the flowers and the whole table.

8. michelle@somedaycrafts April 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Very, Very pretty! I am highlighting your blog as a "BLOG TO WATCH" on my sidebar. Your blog will become big and I want people to know that I am calling it!!!

9. Kelli @ RTSM April 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

I think it is SUPER cute! Easy and basically free are the best crafts ever!

10. Vanessa April 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

I think it's definitely cute!

11. Amanda @ Serenity Now April 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm #

Hi there! I'm visiting from your link over on Someday Crafts. :) You have a really neat blog, and I love the paper flower tree. :)

12. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures April 1, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

I like the paper flowers and the painted branch. Thanks for showing how to make the flowers.

13. debbie April 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

how cute,, and creative. I love the natural/neutral color of the book pages for the flower, i'm not much on alot of color.

14. TeenaBugg38 April 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

I love it! Know what else would be really cute? Get a smaller stick, do all the same stuff and stick it inside of that beautiful bird cage I see there and put a couple of those faux birdies in it!!!

15. Jessica Hills April 5, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

I have seen a lot of these, but I think that yours is one of the favorites I have seen! Thanks for the comment on my blog!

16. Shel at Dreamy Nest April 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

I like this! I totally was going to do this, but ran out of time for Easter – but I love the book pages. I agree, painting or even tea dyeing the pages would look cool, too. I'm stealing your idea when I have time.
    By the way, I'm a military wife, too. Already been through 2 Iraq tours. Blessings!!

17. Isabel April 20, 2010 at 6:05 am #

Wow, your blog is AMAZING!! Thank you for the inspiration! LOVE the flowers, it doesn't get better than FREE!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How To Decorate Shabby Chic With Free Accessories | Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor - March 1, 2012

[...] Sweet Pickins Furniture shows you how you can make your own shabby chic accessory with branches and book pages.  I’m sure that everyone has access to these for free.  If you don’t have a book that you want to use in this way, you can get paperbacks for pennies at a thrift store. [...]